Son Heung-min has passed his compulsory military training in South Korea with flying colours, and has been awarded a prize for best performance.
The 27-year-old was forced to report for national service – a requirement for all South Korean males – and has been based on Jeju Island for the past three weeks.
And it seems Son was not just making up the numbers in camp, impressing chief staff with his skills.
No stranger to hitting the target on the field, Son was particularly handy at shooting practice off it, hitting 10 out of 10 targets to earn special recognition from his officers.
He was awarded with a prize for his standout performance among the fellow 157 recruits in his unit.
Son was pictured receiving his reward dressed in full camouflage military-style uniform.
A member of the Republic of Korea Marine Corps told the Korea Herald : “He [Son] received the ‘Pilsung’ prize which is one of five types of awards for best performers.
“All the courses were judged in a fair and strict manner, and his military training officers have said he went through the training faithfully.”
(Image: South Korean Marine Corps via Ge)
Son was hoping to avoid undertaking the training due to his high-profile career with Spurs.
He was initially due to complete almost two years of service before the age of 28, in line with national requirements.
However he and the other members of South Korea’s Asian Games winning squad of 2018 had their periods of service reduced to three weeks off the back of their victory.
The forward had been ruled out for the remainder of the season with a broken arm sustained in March.
But the coronavirus-enforced break gave Son the opportunity to recover from his injury, as well as complete his military service without any impact on his football.
Whilst away with the military, Son was involved in a number of activities, including shooting and bayonet skills, chemical, biological and radiological training, individual battle and first aid training.
It is likely the star will now return to the UK in the coming weeks as Tottenham bid to return to training ahead of the potential restart of the Premier League.
Spurs reopened their training ground on Tuesday for the first time following the outbreak of coronavirus nationwide.
Players are allowed to used the facility but must adhere to social distancing guidelines.
The club’s protocol is in line with other top-flight sides.
Spurs statement said last week: “No more than one player per pitch will be permitted at any one time to undertake on-pitch exercise, with only a restricted number of the squad coming to the training centre each day.
“Each player will travel independently and arrive at the facilities already dressed in training wear before returning home immediately after they have concluded their session.