Two Benfica players were taken to hospital following an attack on the team bus on Thursday evening.
Andrija Zivkovic and Julian Weigl had to receive medical attentions for cuts after the incident, but neither were seriously injured.
In a statement released on Friday morning, Benfica told how the bus had been attacked upon its return to the club’s training ground following their 0-0 draw with Tondela.
“It’s absolutely unacceptable that these events continue to have a place in society,” Benfica said in their statement.
It’s unknown whether the aggressors were fans of Benfica or another team.
Weigl was also on the Borussia Dortmund team bus that was attacked before a Champions League match against Monaco in 2017.